Family Enterprise Advising
The Family Enterprise AdvisorTM (FEA) focuses on the day-to-day complexities and needs of a family enterprise including:
- Individual Family member planning needs
- Facilitating Family Meetings
- Ownership of the family businesses
- Conflict management
- Business continuation, succession planning, and next generation transfer
- Working with non-family management and employees
Iain Thomson is one of only a few advisors in Canada to achieve this unique designation. He completed the intensive one-year Family Enterprise Advisor Program (FEAP) offered by the University of British Columbia’s Sauder School of Business. He successfully wrote the certification exams required by the Institute of Family Enterprise Advisors (IFEA).
Now, in addition to his knowledge and expertise as a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU), and Charted Financial Consultant (CH.F.C.), Iain has a greater understanding of the unique aspects of the family enterprise and the importance of effectively collaborating with other professional advisors to deliver more comprehensive and complete advice. His FEA certification empowers him to focus on all factors that impact a family enterprise – business, social, and human.
- Family businesses create an estimated 70 to 80% of global GDP annually
- Family businesses contribute 64% of the US GDP and over 50% of the Canadian GDP
- About half of the Canadian workforce is employed in family businesses
- Family-controlled businesses constitute 80% of all businesses worldwide
- 55% of all charitable donations are given by family businesses.